The Stewardship Officer will be a key member of the Foundation’s team and will join a dedicated group of energetic professionals working to position the Foundation for future growth and success as a leader in healthcare philanthropy.
The incumbent will support donor-centric fundraising efforts through the enhancement of trusting relationships between the Foundation and donors, encouraging lifetime support from individual, corporate and foundation donors. He/she will develop and manage a system that provides consistent baseline recognition and stewardship and is also responsive to changing needs of the Foundation and our donors by creating tailored recognition strategies for supporters.
About the Montreal General Hospital
Founded in 1821, the Montreal General Hospital (MGH) was the first non-denominational public hospital in Montreal and, thanks to continuous support from the community, has developed into one of the leading healthcare institutions in the country.
A pioneer hospital in North America, the MGH introduced teaching at the bedside and founded the first medical school in Canada — the Faculty of Medicine at McGill University. The hospital has remained a teaching hospital for the century and a half of the Faculty’s existence. The Montreal General Hospital is dedicated to patient care through diagnosis, treatment, research and teaching. The hospital, a member of the McGill University Health Centre network, is the only adult Level 1 Trauma Center in downtown Montreal, as well as has a special mission in Mental Health and Surgery.
About the Montreal General Hospital Foundation
Established in 1973, the Montreal General Hospital Foundation’s mission is to provide vital support for vital care. The Foundation is mandated to raise money, manage significant funds and invest responsibly in healthcare research, training and technology at the MGH, the MUHC and more broadly, within the McGill academic health network. We work with donors and dedicated collaborators to raise awareness and foster excellence in vital care to all patients, present and future.
CAMPAIGN CODE LIFE: VITAL SUPPORT FOR VITAL CARE
The Montreal General Hospital Foundation is entering into a new significant, multi-year fundraising campaign. Code Life is our pledge to support vital care and our expression of respect for the precious nature of life. It is the symbiotic relationship between our donors’ desire to make a real difference, and the informed and unbiased selection of priority healthcare projects to support. Through Code Life, we seek to protect, heal, extend, and save lives in all the medical institutions with which we are affiliated. We also seek to foster the advancement of knowledge through academic programs, and to promote and support all forms of caregiving.
Ideal Candidate Description
An energetic and enthusiastic self-starter, the Stewardship Officer will be a poised and polished professional, and will possess enough personal and work maturity to be confident and comfortable working with high value donors, corporate sponsors, medical leaders (researchers & doctors) and with MGHF colleagues. The Officer will have good nose for a compelling donor story as well as a strong understanding (both intuitive and theory based) regarding donors’ information needs. Curious and able to quickly make connections with ideas and information, the incumbent will also have the discipline required for processes such as the implementation of designated gifts, documentation and meeting facilitation.
- Work with the fundraising team to develop and implement a systemized and achievable stewardship strategy, to strengthen long-term relationships with major donors.
- Ensure that details of stewardship plans are compiled and communicated to all involved parties, and that the plan is documented and implemented.
- Coordinate the recognition and naming activities associated with major gifts.
- Develop a system to increase the number of value contacts that a donor receives and ensure they are recorded.
- Support a process that prompts executives and others with key donor relationships, and assists them in maintaining personal contact with major donors
- Work with Development and the Finance teams to ensure donor accountability through the quick and clear implementation of designated gifts.
- Support the creation of timely and meaningful impact and outcomes reporting, with qualitative and quantitative reporting to donors. Work in partnership with the Marketing & Communications team and key medical leadership in the development of content and stories, and on public recognition of donors. Work with the MGHF finance team to develop quantitative reporting for donors.
- Support a team effort to develop stewardship plans for donors at various recognition levels within the major, annual and planned gifts programs. Collaborate on the development of the annual report to donors, and on acknowledgment and recognition opportunities and procedures for major and leadership gifts that are consistent across audiences.
- Identify best practices at other organizations for stewardship planning and operation
- Other responsibilities, as they may arise, to support the overall goals of the Foundation.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Management, fundraising team, marketing & communications team, finance team.
External: Major donors, medical leadership & recipients of the philanthropic support.
- Excellent organization skills, detail oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Collegial, collaborative style
- Highly organized with the ability to prioritize multiple requests
- Good decision-making skills, tactful, good listener, willingness to search out answers, ability to recognize when others need to be involved in activities or decisions
- Creativity, curiosity, high energy level, and an enthusiasm for meeting and working with a wide range of individuals
- Knowledge of principles and techniques relevant to major gift fundraising and stewardship
- Understanding of individual donor needs and perceptions
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Minimum of 5 years experience in fundraising related activities or an equivalent client-focused environment
- Demonstrated skills in writing (English and French), organization, and attention to detail
- Experience with donor databases and prospect tracking systems
- Experience working in a staff capacity to support fundraising activities and with cultivation & recognition events
- Knowledge of key priorities of the MGH, MUHC and McGill Academic Health Network is an asset
If you would like to apply for this position, please forward your cv and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org