Privacy and confidentiality policy
You have chosen to support the mission of the Montreal General Hospital Foundation, and we value your commitment to us. That is why we make it a point of honour to act with integrity and transparency at all times, including in the way we handle your personal information.
We comply with the most stringent laws and ethical standards that apply to the handling of all information, especially your personal information.
You will find below information on the various contexts in which the Foundation may collect, use or disclose your personal information, as well as the rights you may exercise with respect to such information.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions after reading our policy. It will be our pleasure to answer them.
The purpose of this policy is to explain how the Montreal General Hospital Foundation protects the personal information you provide to us as part of its mission and philanthropic activities, including when you make a donation, participate in an event, request a tax receipt or subscribe to our newsletters, for example.
When you visit our Site or make a donation, we collect personal information about you.
The personal information we collect generally falls into one or more of the following categories:
For donation forms: your first name, last name, e-mail address, mailing address, telephone number, type and amount of donation, and banking information to complete the transaction. Certain types of donations may require additional questions to better define your intentions (for example, a planned gift, a gift in honor of a loved one or a gift of share).
For registration forms (for activities, invitations, collaborations or other): your first name, last name, e-mail address and occasionally your postal code or organization.
For people who interact with us, whether in person, by phone or e-mail, through social media or otherwise, we may collect any information you provide. We will keep only the information we need, and we ask that you do not send us any personal or otherwise confidential information that is not necessary for our business.
We will only use your personal information where we are permitted to do so by law. Most commonly, we use your personal information in the following circumstances:
- To develop and maintain our relationship with you
- To register you as a donor;
- To answer your questions;
- To establish and update your profile with us, including your contact details, expectations and philanthropic interests;
- To process your donations and issue you a tax receipt;
- To solicit you to make a donation;
- To manage our relationship with you;
- To invite you to events organized by the Foundation;
- To process your registration for a Foundation activity or event;
- To obtain your opinion on the Foundation’s services;
- To thank you for your commitment and donations to the Foundation;
- To recognize you for your commitment to the Foundation, notably by publishing your name and donation level (in certain cases) in the Foundation’s public donor lists.
- To keep you informed of the impact of your donations and the latest Foundation news.
Donor and volunteer personal information will not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of our donors and volunteers or as required by law.
At no time do we ever sell personal information to third parties or exchange donor lists.
We retain your personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, including any legal, accounting or reporting requirements.
In determining the appropriate retention period, we take into account the amount, nature and sensitivity of the information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your PII and the possibility of achieving those purposes by other means, as well as applicable legal requirements.
The Foundation offers its donors and volunteers the opportunity to limit or cancel communications they receive from the Foundation.
To change or withdraw your consent, or to verify, change or modify the information you have provided us, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
As a data subject, you may exercise the rights set out below by communicating with our DPO in writing. At all times, you reserve the right to:
- Request access to the personal information that the Foundation has collected from you;
- Request that personal information concerning you be corrected;
- Request that your personal information be deleted*;
- Voice your opposition to the processing of your personal information;
- Request various restrictions to the processing of your personal information;
- Withdraw your consent to any portion of the use, processing, communication or stocking of your personal information by the Foundation;
- File a complaint with the Commission d’accès à l’information regarding the protection of your personal information by the Foundation.
You may direct any requests, questions, complaints or comments regarding this policy to our Privacy Officer at the following coordinates: email@example.com
To withdraw your consent to any communication or use of your personal information (including our newsletters, any form of thanks or recognition): firstname.lastname@example.org
For all other inquiries: email@example.com